[NRVR-Members] NRVR Has Lost Kentland Launch Site

Weeks, Thomas "Tweeks" t.weeks at vt.edu
Sun Jul 30 02:25:06 EDT 2023

According to the Kentland farm manager and Bob.. There are to be no more rocket launches at Kentland.    We've been struggling with working with Kentland on newer stronger safety restrictions to accommodate the farm manager and various occupants, but I'm told that there are just too many new Agg groups moving into Kentland for him to be comfortable with us all being  there.  Bob's been managing the relationship with the Kentland farm manager, so ask him if you want more info.

What's this mean for NRVR?..  Well, in the short term it means no more HP rocket launches in the New Rivery Valley (can't be legally done as a TRA launch anyway and with no FAA site waiver).

In the mid-term, the board has met and we're scouting a number of sites that we are looking in to now.. but if you have any new launch site ideas (it's most useful to KNOW someone who owns farmland), then please reach out to Bob and I<mailto:tweeks-homework at theweeks.org,bob.schoner at gmail.com>. and connect us with said land owners.

General Requirements and nice-to-haves too keep in mind are:

Needs/Reqs:

  *   1500 ft radius.. or 2000 to 2500x2500 ft field, not a lot of trees/power-lines (or RIVER!) :)

  *   No occupied dwellings within 1500ft (prefer > 2k) (right bob?)

  *   Not within 5nm of an active airport

  *   Not within 1500ft  of a highway (>10 vehicles/hr.. prefer 1mi)

  Nice/Other Stuff:

  *   Within 1hr drive of BBurg/CBurg

  *   Little/no limits of farming /crop time-of-year restrictions (e.g. corn, soy, etc)

  *   No charge for land use

  *   On-site/near-by bathroom would be nice

Any leads? Let us know<mailto:tweeks-homework at theweeks.org,bob.schoner at gmail.com>!

--
T.Weeks