[NRV Rocketry] [NRVR-Launches] Rocket launch this weekend at VT's Kentland Farm

Bob Schoner bob.schoner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 21:05:46 CST 2012

*Rocket launch at Kentland Farm*

Members of the Valley Aerospace Team (VAST) and New River Valley Rocketry
(NRVR) will meet at Kentland Farm property to launch rockets.  Both clubs
will be there to support the Virginia Tech Rocketry  team competing in
NASA’s University Student Rocket Launch Initiative (USLI).  Times are:

   - Saturday, February 4, from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm

   - Sunday, February 5 from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm

Saturday’s launch is open to Tripoli and NAR members and their invited
guests.  Fliers are asked to pay a modest $5.00 fee to support equipment
purchase and maintenance. Students and kids under 18 may fly without charge.
A limited supply of ‘loaner’ rockets will be available for kids to use if
they don’t have their own rockets to fly.  Level 1 & 2 Certification
flights (Tripoli or NAR) can be witnessed with advance notice. Spectators
are also welcome to attend and watch the activities.  There may be a vendor
form Wildman Rocketry on site – but this is not confirmed yet.

·         All launch equipment is provided

·         No food or food vendors will be available on site

·         Bathroom available at the launch field

Sunday’s launch is designated as a *Tripoli Research Launch*, meaning that
kids under the age of 18 may fly model rockets but Adults (over 18) must be
a Tripoli member to fly. There are some exceptions so please contact Chuck
Neff if you have questions.  Tripoli Level 1 & 2 Certification flights can
be witnessed with advance notice.  Launch fee is $5.00 for the day.
Spectators are still welcome to watch!

We expect several experienced rocketeers flying larger rockets.  We have a
FAA waiver for class 2 rockets up to 6,000 feet above ground but we may
restrict peak altitudes depending on the weather, winds and cloud heights.
*WEATHER  *Weather may be a factor, but unless a complete washout is likely
we will proceed with the launch as scheduled.  For up to the minute launch
status please check out the NRVR and VAST web sites.

http://www.valleyaerospace.com/

http://www.nrvr.org/

*IMPORTANT!*

·         Please respect the VT Kentland farm property by parking only in
designated areas and packing out all trash.  This is a nice are to launch
and recover rockets and we would like to continue to be welcomed back for
future launches.

·         This is a safe family activity where children are welcomed but
they must not be left unsupervised.  Please leave the alcohol, dogs, ATVs,
fireworks and firearms at home.  While running this rocket range, we will
not tolerate horseplay or other distractions that may affect the safety of
others!

* *

*FUTURE LAUNCHES*

We are also tentatively scheduled to have a launch  at *Kentland Farm* on
the weekend of *April 14th/15th.*  It will more than likely follow the same
Saturday/Sport & Sunday/Research format.  Details will be provided as they
progress.

If you are interested in receiving emails about upcoming launch events,
please sign up on the VAST and/or NRVR web page.

  Bob Schoner