BIG SUMMER LAUNCH 2017!
When: July 15-16, 9am-6pm
Where: Kentland Farms 5250 Whitethorne Rd. Blacksburg, VA 24060
(Private land open to the public on these dates only!)
If you’re interested in flying rockets or just relaxing outside and watching some cool flights, all are welcome!
New River Valley Rocketry (NRVR) is prefecture 143 of the Tripoli Rocketry Association (TRA) and we’re looking forward to flying a lot of rockets in the mountains of Virginia this summer! While many clubs have crops and are restricted to low or mid power, NRVR has a beautiful site for moderate high power flights nestled in the cool hills of south western Virginia. Our July launch is shaping up to be one of our biggest yet and we’re excited to fly with as many HP flyers as possible!
Launch site, local hotels, camp grounds and amenities are detailed here.
Want To Attend? Please RSVP!
If interested in attending, please:
1) Either RSVP to our facebook event, or email officers(at)nrvr.org
so that we can get an accurate headcount for parking and food!
2) Reserved Flightline Parking:
When RSVPing, if you would like to reserve a flight-line parking spot with setup table/canopy space, let us know!
- Launch Site: Our regular launch site is just 15 minutes from the Virginia Tech campus so there are lots of amenities and places to stay nearby (see here for accommodations)
- Launches/Recovery: Our recovery area is a large, multi-use farm with research grasses and crops, a dairy complex. Prevailing winds usually provide adequate recovery area for flights in the 5000’ – 6000’ AGL range, but we do like to bring them down fast and pop’em low! 🙂
- $15 Launch Fee: NRVR normally charges no launch fees, but this is a big event and we need some help putting it on. Volunteer to help with RSO/LCO or HP pad duties and get $5 back! We take cash or check at the launch. Email officers(at)nrvr.org to reserve a volunteer slot and get your discount!
- Ceiling: 10,000’ standing FAA waiver (please inform officers(at)nrvr.org for approval before flying anything over 6,000’)
- Pads: Plenty of pads, rails and unistrut mounts to accommodate low, mid, and high power rockets all the way up to M-impulse
- Motor Vendor: Ken Allen of Performance Hobbies will be on-site all weekend with plenty of rocket motors and supplies.
(Make sure to pre-order motors with Ken by noon on Friday 7/14 to ensure you get the motor you need!)
- Saturday – will be a standrd TRA commercial launch (10,000ft waiver)
- Sunday – will be a TRA Research Launch (8,000’ waiver)
(please contact our TAP/RSO at officers(at)nrvr.org for any complex/research launches)
- Facilities: On site, running water bathrooms!
- Food: The “Rocket BBQ Grill” catering is on site all weekend! Proceedes from the “Fundraising Menu” is going to a worthy cause.. to fund his big Nike Ajax HP project!
We look forward to putting up some awesome rockets and we hope to see you there!
New River Valley Rocketry board of directors